‘Super healthy’ teen who was a ‘talented’ basketball player dies from COVID-19 complications

A North Carolina teen who was described as a talented basketball player has died from complications with the coronavirus.

Chad Dorrill was 19 years old and was an original member of the Piedmont Pacers.

“The Piedmont Pacers family is devastated … This awful disease has taken this young man from everyone far too soon,” a post on his team’s Facebook page read.

The Piedmont Pacers said they first met Dorrill in 2013 after he and his family moved to North Carolina from Wisconsin.

“We quickly realized what a talented basketball player he was,” the post said. “His quiet, soft spoken demeanor belied a fierce competitor on the basketball court whose relentless hustle and shooting prowess helped win many games for the Pacers.”

Related video below: Mother remembers 15-year-old daughter who died from complications of coronavirus

The team said Dorrill finished as the Pacers’ all-time leading scorer and was a member of the 2018 USSSA National Championship team.

“Most importantly, Chad was beloved by all of his teammates and coaches and possessed all of the qualities that any parent would love to see in their child,” the post said. “His parents, Robert and Susan, were a constant presence at Pacers games and their kindness and support helped to create a family-like atmosphere. Our hearts go out to them and we cannot imagine the pain they are going through right now.”

In the post, Dorrill’s mother is quoted saying: “As our family suffers this incredible loss, we want to remind people to wear a mask and quarantine if you test positive even without symptoms. You have no idea who you can come into contact with that the virus affects differently. Chad was just incredibly tired for two weeks and little did we know it was secretly attacking his body in a way they have never seen before. The doctors said that Chad is the rarest 1 in 10,000,000 case, but if it can happen to a super healthy 19-year-old boy who doesn’t smoke, vape or do drugs, it can happen to anyone.”

Source Article